Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I have been sitting here, looking at this blank page for the last 30 minutes, willing the words to write themselves, not because I have nothing to say, quite the opposite actually. It seems that I have so many things that words seem unfitting and not enough to express all that my head and heart have experienced and are feeling right now. I remember reading once that “the most important things are hardest to say because words diminish them”... and that’s how I feel right now, as though my words are not enough, are not going to do justice to all that is going on in this moment. 

So...I guess for know I’ll just tell it how it is and hope that my words are enough, that I will look back and be able to recall I was I thinking and feeling, even if my words fail. 

This week has been an interesting one, I have now been sick for over two weeks. It started out as just a cold, nothing like the “man flu” I am sure, however it definitely left me feeling rather under the weather. That said, my Mumma, bless her, brought us up tough, we went to school regardless of our ailments, pretty much unless we were dying we were given chewable vitamin c and sent packing. Now, I am totally grateful for this, I remember once driving to work one morning, having been up all night sick, only to throw up on the side of the road, and realise that if I didn’t get home ASAP I would have to sell my car, or at least remove the seat because last night’s dinner was determined to escape via whatever means...ok too much information I get it, moral of the story is, my mum made me pretty tough and so despite this persistent cold/flu thing, I powered on, jogged almost every day and decided that I was not going to bail on a weekend in Coburg just to stay at home and rest.

And so last Saturday, Kristin, Robert and I headed in Coburg, a small city about an hour and a half from here (that is if you do 160 on the autobahn). Ramona, my first German friend, who works and lives in Coburg during the week, so suggested we meet for coffee after she finished for the day. There was plenty to see and do, but not to be missed was the famous Veste. So we hiked our way up to the Veste Coburg also know as a fortress, or castle. Ok so maybe hike is an over exaggeration...it was probably closer to a stroll, but having done 100 squads while holding Robert the day before, it felt like a hike. Either way, it was beyond worth it! I was mesmerised and blown away by the detail and beauty of this place. There was something so incredibly haunting about this 1000 year old castle built on top of this mountain (hill) that over looked Coburg. It was nothing like I had ever seen; it even had one of those metal gate things with spikes on the end that drops down from the roof! 

It was so peaceful, while it towered over me, I imagined what it must have been like to live here, waking up every day to this wondrous sight...to most Germans however it’s just another castle, I guess just like in Australia, I am mostly unperturbed by a gum tree, or a kangaroos, but seriously I mean it’s phenomenal to think men built these castles without any of the modern day technology! After walking back down we headed back into the city square, which is an artwork itself, beautiful frescos painted on the outside of buildings, each building a colour that you’d expect to find in an ice creamery, which embellishments and details galore! It was a sight to behold! I stayed in Coburg Saturday night at Ramona’s. We headed into the city at about 11, apparently a typical German happy hour, I was thinking to myself...heck it’s already like an hour past my bed time...Once we got to the Sonnterbarr I was instructed to try a Bacardi Ruts (I think that’s what it’s called) which is Bacardi and some mixer with Raspberries! Whatever it was, it was divine! I was in Raspberry heaven, even more so because being the token Aussie meant that I think I paid for one drink the whole night! SCORE! Ramona's fellow German friends were so welcoming and aided my in my attempted to speak Deutsch, even practicing with me the tremendously hard ch sound!

After a few more clubs/pubs/bars and some epic moves burning up the dance floor, we headed home around 4.30 am which was actually 5.30 because day light savings started...and what do you know Ramona suggests we get Kebabs! Ha! Seems Aussies aren’t the only ones who think a Kebab is a brilliant idea for breakfast before you have even been to sleep! However, the Kebab shop closed as we got there, completely bummed we hung around a while like paupers in the hopes of securing a left over morsel and low and behold...the nice Greek man walks around the back and hands me a delicious warm treat that Ramona and I go halves in! Winning!

Being that we didn’t get to bed till some crazy hour, we slept till 12 which meant I had to catch the later train home. We almost missed the train actually, and I got to experience the adrenaline that contestants on the amazing race must feel. After having paid 22 euro for a one way ticket there was no way I was going to miss this train, so here I was a little dazed and cloudy from a few too many Bacardi Ruts, running through the train station with my pretzel that I had to buy because the ticket machine wouldn’t take 50’s, a bag slung over my shoulder while trying to hold up my pants because I conveniently left my belt at home. But alas, I made it in the nick of time! The rest of the afternoon was a blur though, I think I was coming down of an adrenaline high, that or I was just hung over...

OK... this entry now resembles a uni essay so I will leave the other exciting stories for another day! I am heading to Spain in two days so won’t be back till next Wednesday, till then, Guten Morgen, Guten Nacht (which ever). Oh, and Mum, Nan and Pop, I know you can’t help it but please try not to worry, I am fine and I will be safe, the hostel in Madrid are expecting me so if I don’t turn up they will send out a search party I’m sure.
Much love

No comments:

Post a Comment