Saturday, March 17, 2012

Today was a good day, you know those days where everything just seems right with the world (Ok, so I am fully aware of how much is not right with the world, but bare with me)...I woke up with a smile on my face, not for any particular reason except that I am happy to be alive. Spring is here, the sun is shining and I woke to a cool breeze kissing my cheek and black birds singing me into the morning. I had my first whole day with Robert today. 

This little boy makes the world a brighter place with his laugh! He is so pure and joyful right now, he has an appreciate for things that adults forget to marvel at, like the ducks that dive and fly and float and quack, or bob, the fat cat that lives down stairs, the flowers that are beginning to bloom, and my favourite, the humble or should I say not so humble spiders web. He can pick a spiders web from a mile away, I am sure of it! I was dressing him this morning and this smile came over his face like a kid on Christmas morning “Lori! Lori! Hey....spidersweb!!” in his littler German accent! I turned to find it, it took me a good 10 seconds before I realised it was this tiny little string of strength suspended outside his bedroom window. We forget...We forget the miracle of the spidersweb...We forget to be amazed and marvel at just how truly wonderful this daily happening is. 

The strength of spider silk is greater than the same weight of steel and has much greater elasticity! On top of that spiders often eat the silk again to reuse the energy it takes to spin the silk in the first place! These little creatures are phenomenal, and yet we often think of them as a pests...it took a 2 year old absorbed in wonder for me to really stop and appreciate a spidersweb... And for that matter spiders themselves, they are so resourceful and purposeful in creating these temporary homes that catch their food, and when you take the time you realise just how beautiful they are. I mean after having to look at every spidersweb today, I’d guess maybe 12 (which is A LOT for germany, they just don’t have spiders like we know in Australia), I was surprised at just how rarely I ever consider or appreciate the little things that are in fact big miracles that occur every day. 

We wonder at huge things like waterfalls, the stars, a baby being born, and rightfully so, those things are amazing and God certainly deserve applause for them, but I think maybe we would find far more to praise God for if we stopped every once in a while to be captivated but the littler, but no less wonderous miracles, like birds singing, the sun rising, the wind blowing, gravity, and spiderswebs. So, here’s to exploring the world with the wonder of a 2 year old, and praise to God for a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment