Wednesday, March 21, 2012

So, a few things I have learnt in the past week, one, Germans are super strict – about everything it seems, and two, I think maybe this country, while flourishing is still being weighed down by the guilt of its forefathers and the bloodshed of WWII.

Let’s start with this strict business, well I still do not have a visa, and not from lack of trying, my German family have done everything in their power to get this sorted, but its seems as though they are scared that I am an illegal immigrant who might potentially be harmful to society or something, either that or the lady at the “office” hates her job and therefore refuses to actually investigate and ask the necessary questions to ensure that I receive a Working Holiday Visa.  Applying for this requires me to have financial support, a sponsor, evidence that I am learning about the German culture and language, health insurance, a valid passport and a flight out of here – all of which I have and have provided evidence of mind you... but alas, for some reason this lady is not so concerned with getting this completed, oh if only her work were commission based... On top of that, my mum sent through a package containing my camera and some summer clothing, because it worked out cheaper to do that than pay the 50 bucks per kilo I would have had to pay had I crammed it into my suitcase... My darling mother posted it express so that I wouldn’t be without my beloved dresses and camera too long, it came last week and I still have not been able to take it home. They are holding it hostage until I pay the 20% tax on the total value of the items...waaaaa ok ok it’s not that drastic and I am not too concerned...yet, I am just hoping that the lady takes pity on the poor aupair and believes me when I say I have no intention of selling my belongings to make money. Gosh I hope they don’t base the tax on the original retail value, I’ll be looking to pay like 600 dollars tax on a camera that I bought second hand for 800 dollars! ok enough ranting about that, perhaps her dog died, or she has pms, or she hates her job and her kid is failing German...either way, I will opted to prayer for her and trust that God is in this and because I know for sure I am meant to be here, I also have to believe that it will all work out, in the mean time I’ll eat ice-cream and enjoy this glorious weather. 

On the other hand... a far more concerning and sadder note, I am sitting here pondering this beautiful country’s tarnished history. It is evident that the people here are stilling feeling the guilt and weight of the bloodshed and hurt caused by Hitler and his troops in 67 odd years. I have visited two incredibly beautiful cities nearby Werneck, one is roughly 1000 years old, the other, theoretically, and only about 66 years old...Wurzburg is a wondrous and breathtaking city surrounded by hilly vineyards and a huge baroque castle that looks over the city. Its cobble stone streets, gloriously detailed fountains, cathedrals, frescos and beautifully crafted bridges reflect its rich culture. However, underneath all this beauty lies a city that was once bombed so badly that only 15% remained standing after roughly 200 bombs weighing about 500kg each were dropped on the city by English fighter pilots. On March 16 1945, Wurzburg became nothing but a pile of rubble, killing more than 5000 people the city was in utter devastation. They were unprepared and even though many people were able to find shelter in their cellars, most were forced out due to the sheer heat. I wouldn’t never have guessed looking at the city now. 

It was only after we had enjoyed amazing ice-cream and coffee in one of the little cafes just beside the bridge that we walked over to the War Memorial Museum and I learnt the history of this city. The museum is a small room which explains some of the events that took place on March 16th. The images and facts displayed on its walls and the small replica of the devastated city were almost overwhelming.

Würzburg had seen a lot in its 1300 years of existence. There were revolts and peasant wars, witch burnings and squabbles between one prince and another. But I don't think this once astonishingly beautiful city had seen anything like what it witnessed on the 16th of March. The main reason they were so unprepared was because as far as the people knew, the war was pretty much over, and being that Winston Churchill studied in their city, and in reality there was no point in the bombing of this city as the industrial cities close by had already been bombed, the people felt rather safe from attacks.

It was mostly women and children who died, and when the war was over, it was the women who aided in rebuilding this city. At the time there was suggestions of leaving the city as it was as a reminder of the devastation of war, however the people here were resilient and built the city up once again. Too look at it now you would have no idea that it was once nothing but rocks and ash. I was astounded by the truth and enormity of this devastation, having not lived through the war and only studying it from the safety and isolation of Australia, I have never physically been confront with it. After leaving Wurzburg grateful, I started reading more and more about the war that killed nearly 20 million people. I came across so many readings and websites that discuss the destruction and devastation that this war brought and it became increasing evident that Germany and its people still are yet to forgive themselves. 

As much as Germany has rebuilt its self out of the ashes and established ties with countries that were once enemies, there is still this huge sense of guilt and shame lurking in the consciousness of the population. Nobody has yet to come forth and absolve Germany of it’s sins of WWII, least of all the German people themselves. This made me incredibly sad, because although most Germans don’t understand sarcasm or appreciate too much humour, they are lovely, welcoming, and incredibly warm people (ok maybe with the exception of the ladies in the office). I can’t imagine what it’s like to live in a country that most of the rest of the world were taught to hate due to the awful leadership and evil that followed Adolf Hitler, who mind you wasn’t even German. Then again, Australia has a history that I am not proud of, however I also know that for all its flaws and history that is sour, Australia has come a long way, with a long way to go naturally, however it offers so much and I am certainly proud to call it home. I just hope one day that the German people will be forgiven their past, forgive themselves and feel at peace to leave the past buried under the new cities that now stand beautifully in the place of devastation. 

Oh there is still so much to learn and discover about this nation! And well, looking back over the words I wrote complaining about my visa woes, I now feel a little silly, they are not big problems...nothing like gaining a better perspective from contemplation...

No comments:

Post a Comment