Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Junior is sick today, with a fever of 39.5...So I am at home caring for him; it’s a strange thing, to be needed by someone so precious and helpless. This little life is in my hands and I can’t help but check on him every 20 minutes or so. I am in awe of this little person, I mean I look upon him in wonder, he is a living, loving, breathing miracle that when I look at it scientifically, it absolutely leaves me awestruck! I think sometimes we forget to look long enough upon the faces of the people in our lives and actually see the mind blowing miracle they are!

I remember when I was in year 11 studying biology and we were talking about a baby being conceived, I think it’s called a zygote?...Anyway, not that I didn’t already know “how” it happens, I think I knew when I was like five. My mum has always been a “no bull” kind of person. However, I guess I had never really given the science behind conception that much thought; I was blown away by this idea, this truth. I remember Miss Menzies describing in acute detail the way in which the cells form and split and make organs and bones and skin...(ok in a far more eloquent and scientific way than I can express) and then she was talking about how when the baby is conceived it doesn’t have eyelids. They come later; it’s like some little creature comes along and cuts open the skin protecting the eyes...think about it for just a moment. No human commands these things, they just happen, every day 353,015 babies are born each day, 14,709 each hour and 245 each minute...while of course  humans naturally play a huge role in this, at the same time, it’s out of our control. God commands the stars to shine, the earth to spin, the leaves to change colour and our hearts to beat and He causes the cells to make a brain and little tiny hands and feet. The more I learn about babies, the world around me, myself, the more I am convinced that there is an intelligent designer who created it all. It makes more sense to me that God exists and is, than it does to believe that this was all accidental and a coincident. 

I guess it’s like the wind, or light, we know it exists, we see it, or in the case of light, we see because of it, but it’s not a tangible thing that we can hold and touch and prove. If we were to try and prove light to a blind person, how would be go about it? We couldn’t, we could only describe what we see and feel, and for me, this is the same with God. I cannot prove His existence any more than I can prove light, but I feel Him, I see because of Him and I am who I am because of His love. But I also know that sometimes I get so caught up in the monotony of routine that I forget to be amazed, I forget the miracles that are happening around me every minute of every day. So, this is my challenge, I guess more for myself but feel free to join me, every day, write down a miracle you witnessed, when you start looking, and your eyes are open you begin to see more than you ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment